The Government Science College is born out of the visionary foresight of the erstwhile Maharaja (King) of Mysore, His Highness Shri Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar on the 1st of April 1921 as an intermediate college. As a testimony to its leadership in higher education, the institution has grown from a modest intermediate college to a full-fledged undergraduate college and now into a post-graduate institution with research programs.
GSC has been dedicated to quality education and to preparing students for leadership in diverse walks of life while at the same time being tempered by social concern, empathy and visionary leadership across two centuries. Owing to its scope and pace of change, post-2000 will go down in the history of GSC as the period of its most spectacular expansion and quality enhancement. The introduction of PG courses, research programs, with two successive NAAC accreditations of B++ and “A” followed by CPE status in 2009 and 2015 and more recently- the autonomous status are some of the milestones of the last decade.
This temple of enlightenment has stood the test of times as a beacon of knowledge for generations of youth who have served the society from pre-independence to the post-independent era. The greatest testimonial is the contribution of its students to society and GSC is quietly proud to have contributed to society's growth over 94 years of glorious existence through a set of students who are etched as knowledge revolutionaries in the by-lanes of history.
Government Science College aspires to have a transformational impact on students through comprehensive education by inculcating qualities of competence, confidence and excellence.
- To instill scientific zeal and develop skilled human resource to meet contemporary challenges.
- To facilitate young adult learners with opportunities to hone their ethical and leadership potential.
- To sensitize learners towards inclusive social concerns, human rights, gender and environmental issues.
- To impart in-depth knowledge in Science.
- To build a foundation for lifelong learning.
- To impart technical competence to develop skilled human resource.
- To organize extension activities to promote wellbeing, leadership, social responsibilities and environmental awareness.
- To promote critical and analytical thinking.
- To encourage innovations through research.
- To indoctrinate life skills in adult learners to meet contemporary challenges.
- To effectively implement the design, development and delivery of the chosen academic programmes.
- To strengthen the physical and academic infrastructure.
- To promote capacity building among faculty for achieving excellence.
- To enhance the quality of the teaching and learning by adopting modern and innovative pedagogy.
- To develop technical and soft skills in students to make them competent human resource.
- To sensitize students towards gender, social and environmental concerns.
- To strengthen extension activities to ensure holistic development of students.
- To promote research culture and enhance research output.
- To promote good health and wellbeing among students.
- To strengthen institutional network with institutes, industries and NGOs.
- To involve stake holders in institutional processes.
- To strive for excellence in all the institutional activities.
- To impart value based education to prepare students for lifelong learning.
Government Science College is a community committed for academic excellence, scholar¬ship and outreach initiatives, with each member support and challenge each other in a wholehearted pursuit of knowledge, holding one another to the highest intellectual and ethical standards.
Knowledge grows into wisdom when we recognize the limits of reason and of our in¬dividual perspectives, attend to the common good, and fashion the changes inspired by learning.
The pursuit of excellence in teaching and learning requires diligent study, freedom of taught and dialogue, and collegial respect for each person’s experience.
The Government Science College is committed to cater quality education to the needy sections of society and pursue global standards of excellence in all endeavours by raising standards of human relations through engaged knowledge building in Science while inculcating a culture of inclusion and positive values and high ethical standards. In addition to acquiring knowledge in science, research and extension, special emphasis is given to sensitize learners towards social, gender and environmental sensitivities culminating in having a transformational impact on students through comprehensive education aimed at holistic development and leadership in a complex world.
Message from Principal
Our college, which has been empowering the society with knowledge and making strides in the field of education since 1921, has been accredited with 'A' grade by NAAC in the 2nd cycle of accreditation. The college is equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories, internet facilities and a library stocked with a good collection of books, journals and publications. The faculty are well qualified, enthusiasitic and strive for the betterment of the students, along with engaging themselves in research activities
The college has conducted many training programme specified by the higher education department for the benefit of students. It has successfully carried out novel programmes like 'Naipunya Nidhi', Tele-education through Edusat, Technical Skill Enhancement Programmes and Certificate Courses. Workshops, seminars and special lectures held at the college have helped students of all streams of science to expand their knowledge base in addition to the curriculum.
Under the aegis of Women Empowerment Forum, the college has conducted programmes on self-defence and health. Awareness programmes on Blood donation, Aids, Cancer and other diseases, e-Waste Management, etc., have been conducted.
The students are encouraged to show equal interest in academics and extra-curricular activities. NSS, NCC and divisions of Rovers & Rangers, Sports and Culture enhances the experience of the students during their tenure.